Tuesday, May 16, 2006

New Super Mario Bros Review.


First Up I need to admit I was seven years old the christmas my father brought home the Nintendo Entertainment System for me and my younger brother. It was the complete set, the one with ROB the robot, Mario Bros and Duck Hunt. And as you can see my life was changed forever right then. So yes this review may have nostalgia on it's side and that may be influencing me even though I don't believe that's the case. Here's my argument for that.

NEW Super Mario Bros. may very well be the best game on the DS. It's the best game I've played all year. The colors are crisp, the action quick and the pace steady. There are multiple ways to go through the game, and trust me you will want to unlock everything. Mario has never looked better and the game shows what could have been for the sidescroller if not the rush to 3d in the early 90's caused by Mario 64. Everything from the series is here. Every Villain you remember, every mushroom and power up and plenty of new ones as well. And it's great. Now your probably wondering how I can say this isn't clouded by my nostalgia for that christmas some twenty years ago? Here's how.
I was a Sonic boy. When that blue hedgehog blurred the screen, I went Sega and never looked back,. The gameplay just felt better, fresher. I truly believed that, and now I'm left wondering after enjoying NSMB all night and this morning, if maybe, just maybe I was wrong. This gameplay stands up today. And although Sonic Rush for the DS(which is the closest to real Sonic, we have gotten in along time) is good, it is by no means great. So I'm left with one explanation. Mario, as simple as he is, is still one of the greatest game creations in the history of VideoGames. And I'm glad we can still take a journey in the hazy 3-d world we live in, across a beautifully colored lush and vibrant 2-d platformer, that only makes you smile.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home