Wednesday, February 08, 2006

brokeback mountain/ belle and sebastian

Belle And Sebastian, The Life Pursuit. Ok first i need to admit I've never been a big fan, but Dear Catastrophe Waitress grew on me after some time and when i saw them live I really began to enjoy that cd even more. So I picked up this new album for jess yesterday and not completely for her. I was expecting too much, I guess as after two full listens, nothing jumps out at me. It's nice, It's Poppy, but mostly it feels empty. And that's strange because it also seems very crowded, as there are instruments going off everywhere on this cd. I'm sure you diehard Belle and Sebastian fans will be very pleased with this, but for me it gets a B- Not bad, but it mostly induces flatness inside.


Brokeback Mountain. So i finally saw it. Most likely the Oscar winner for Heath Ledger and for Best Picture. The true oscar should go to Ang Lee who does this movie a very sincere justice and never strays from the intent to make this a love story set against a western America, that is at once beautiful and also very dark and lonely. I got to admit, it wasn't as powerful or as good as I hoped or was led to believe, but I think in the long run that works in the movies favor, much like Ang Lee's The Ice Storm, there's a certain film that captures you by being still and maybe just a little less overdone. It gets an A+ I say give Ang Lee the Oscar for director, and Heath Ledger for Acting, but I'm not sold entirely on the film being the best this year.

I've got a soft spot for Terrence Howard and Hustle and Flow for that one. That movie's subject matter may prove more risky for hollywood to give any awards to. Can they award an Actor or a film whose main player is a pimp from Memphis? Either way can't wait to hear fox news bash hollywood when the Oscars are handed out.
Well actually I wouldn't mind if i never see fox news again. Ever.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home