Wednesday, April 05, 2006

It's nice outside! let's read comics!

so we went to see mama mia last night. I have to admit I'm not a fan of ABBA so that may have swayed my opinion but I think the play is done well, composed well but the story isn't really all that good. And isn't theatre supposed to tell a story? I'll give it a B for the talent and the stage production but after seeing Avenue Q and Sweeney Todd, this play just didn't do as much for me. Sorry ABBA Fans. O.k. It's comic book day.

Moon Knight # 1 I grew up reading the 80's version of this characther when i had an extra 1.25 and there were no New X-Men books on the shelf. Moon Knight was always cool, and I've always liked the Marvel B characthers better. Heck I read all 75 issues of New Warriors and most of the Alpha Flight run. When I found out they were redoing Moonie it caught my eye but I was sold when they announced David Finch would be doing the art. He sold me on New Avengers and this book could be amazing if they keep the pacing up. I really think Moon Knight could be Marvel's Batman, I give the first issue and A+

Also picked up the Annihilation Prolouge for my earlier statement about the New Warriors. Nova! The story seems great but did anyone else think Kolins artwork was a bit, well awful? Im glad he's not doing the Nova series which is the only one I think I'll pick up right now. I also like Drax a lot, think I'll have to check out that trade of his recent miniseries.

Jessica picked up the new Giant Robot which is always fun and this...

Strangetown #1 by Chynna Chugston. Oni Press. Chugston created the Blue Monday series and my favorite of hers, Scooter Girl, and this story takes place in Grangeton, Oregon, and it has all the charm of her ealrier work with a bit of mystery thrown in. Her characthers are overly caffeinated youthful caricatures that just work. I think she is one of the few true American Magna artists, because it reads like magna, but with our cultural influences which is definetly nice.
It says it's a irregulary published ongoing series. Let's hope it doesn't go the Optic Nerve route and only come out once every couple of years. Wooh lot's of comic reviews. sorry about that. let's go watch lost.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home