Sunday, July 09, 2006

convergence 2006. wow!

O.k. I just got back from Convergence in Bloomington Minnesota, and gotta say this may be my favorite convention ever. but first a word about pirates, especially Mr. Johnny Depp

Went to see the sequel on friday night and it is really quite amazing how much better this second film is than the first one. All the actors have more to do here and Johnny Depp is still amazing as Captain Jack Sparrow. Well this was great start to my geek weekend, on with the show.

Got up at 3am on saturday and drove to the Sheraton South arriving at 8am. COuldnt register for the con till 9 so i wandered around unable to participate in anything but free to get a lay of the hotel. This is a pretty big con with alot of the panels in one tower of the room and the other side parties and consuites.

Started the day off by hitting the dealer room, got a firefly shirt for me and a Dharma logo shirt for Jess who opted out of this geek fest. Checked out the art auction which had some neat pieces but mostly out of my price range. Also bid on a few items in the silent auction, didnt win any. :<
Went to my first panel at 1100 We call it acting with my two favorite Klingons Robert O rReilly and J.G. Hertzler. I've seen these guys before in boston at a Slanted Fedora show, and they are pretty funny, and easily two of the nicest actors I've ever sat through a panel with. Good thing too because I went to see them on three different panels throughout the weekend, plus watched them rap, yes rap, at the masqeurade.
Some other panels I went to, were a lost one, battlestar galactica, star trek, serenity, dead fandoms, and a few more. The con excels at treating you well as the consuite always had food of some sort and soda. There was also a separate room, for espresso drinks which came in handy in the morning or late at night.

The Masquerade was by far filled with some of the most talented costumers, and entertainers I've seen, and I've seen alot. As I was laughing through pimp my ride, the british edition, I think I had an overwhelming sense of, I guess you could say joy. I don't think I stopped smiling the rest of the evening. And why should I? There was the most well decorated, fully liqoured stock room parties in convention history. I was so drunk in say 1 hour that I even watched an episode of doctor whom to sober up. Favorite room parties were Wonka's Night Out, Bacon, Galactic Geisha's house of Tea, House of Toast, and The Terran Empire. All great, all different and all filling me with either food, or spirits. Luke Ski perfomed his usual hilarious comedy-fanboy rap rock and was enetertaining as always. What's great about this con is it had so much going on that things I would normally spend alot of my time at a convention at that I barely entered here. A great film room in CInema Rex, which I didnt find time for, and Anime room, and a whole 22nd floor for gaming. I didnt even realize I barely watched any sci-fi until I was driving home. That's a pretty great con, to keep me entertained for 48 hours, minus six for sleep. I'll definetly be back next year. This time well armed for all you partiers.

1 Comments:

Blogger Colleen said...

Hey, as one of the people that organized Wonka's Night Out, I just wanted to say thanks for the kudos! Hope you come back again next year.

3:23 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home